A parent or guardian may call their student out of school 6 days per school year for other reasons. (These days are verified, not excused.)
- Medical documented illness (from a doctor or the school nurse)
- Medical documented appointment (from a physician, dentist, etc.)
- Funeral (documented with slip from funeral service)
- Court documented appointment (from Juvenile Court, DHS, etc.)
- School sponsored activity
Any day beyond 6, without a documented excuse for the absence, is considered truant. Steps will begin towards mediation for excessive absenteeism.
Reviewing the Steps
- 6th Non-Excused Absence
Warning letter notifying parent/guardian that their 6 verifiable days have been reached and requesting documentation for any further absences.
- 9th Non-Excused Absence
Phone contact and possible home visit
- 12th Non-Excused Absence
Mandatory Administrative Attendance Hearing: parent or guardian will be served notice & County Attorney will be provided a copy of the notice.
- Continued Non-Excused Absences
Referred for legal action by the County Attorney.